Wednesday 28 November 2012

Zuri & Safi - 24th November 2012

So here we go, my most recent set of photos of Zuri and Safina. This was my first visit since my surgery at the end of October, so I really could not wait to see them! 

Unfortunately like most of my visits since the Summer it coincided with quite a lot of rain! When I got to the zoo the pair were in their house, however after calling them a couple of times they came over to say hello. Safina always comes first, followed by Zuri. 

Safina seemed very pleased to see me, rubbing herself against the fence and even purring. Zuri gave me the occasional head rub and a friendly moan, he isn't quite as enthusiastic in his greetings towards me as Safi is! It seemed like Safi was in season again, but was coming out of it today, as Zuri was taking every opportunity he could, but in my visit of just over three hours, they only mated twice, also Zuri was not super protective over her when she came to see me, and spent a lot of time away from each other suggesting that she was on the way out of season. 








The photos above show Safina playing around, definately making the most of trying to warm up, she would not stay still! Below is my favourite picture of the day, showing a very lean mean king of the beasts! Zuri really is a spectacular looking lion, with a very huge mane, which must have it's advantages this time of year!

Both of their coats looked a lot thicker, due to the colder weather, so they do adapt really well to living in the colder climates in the UK.










You can really see the size difference between the pair in the two photos below, and Zuri isn't even the tallest of lions around, he is actually quite short. So it is easy for you all to appreciate, how small Safina is.












Well I hope you have all enjoyed looking at these photos, it was great to see them both, despite the horrible weather. And due to the horrible weather there was no sign of Riziki and Karla, both were obviously hiding in their house at the back (where there is no public viewing). So it was impossible to see them, and I don't blame them!

Just one last photo for you all to see, here was a photo taken of Zuri, while he was patrolling around the enclosure, and I was at the far side with Safi. Isn't he superb?


I also took quite a few videos of the two, which I will upload in a next post for you all.

Cheers

James

No comments:

Post a Comment